Slack Action List
How do I Install desktop app?
- Windows: https://slack.com/downloads/windows
- Mac: https://slack.com/downloads/osx
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Slack
- Apple App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/slack/id803453959?ls=1&mt=12
How do I sign up as a new user to the Clear Ink slack team?
- Visit domain.slack.com
- Click ‘Create an Account’
- Enter your Clear Ink email address
- Check your email for a link from slack and click the link provided
- Enter your new password
How do I invite a new user?
- Click on the team name(top left), in the dropdown select invite people.
- Enter their email address, first name and last name and select Invite Person
How do I log into slack on desktop, browser, mobile?
- After having set up your slack account on your Clear Ink email, open the slack desktop app, mobile app or the slack app at wayworksireland.slack.com in your browser and log in using your Clear Ink email address.
How do I create a channel: private, public
- Click Create New Channel (plus beside CHANNELS) > Enter name, choose private, enter description, add invites > Create Channel.
- You can view the channels details/ files/ pinned items by selecting the channel on the left hand side > clicking the show channel details button (top,middle) and selecting what you’d like from the right side panel.
How do I invite another member to a channel, Remove a member from a channel?
- Invite: Select the channel from the left hand and click ‘Invite others to this private/ public channel’ > Choose to either let them see the channel history or to archive the history and start a new channel > Search or just select the team member you want to add and click invite.
- Remove: Select the channel you’re focused on the left-hand side > Click the Show Channel Details button (top, middle), click on members in the right side panel > select the member you want to remove from a channel and click ‘Remove from channel name’.
How do I join a public channel?
- Click on CHANNELS > Search and then select the channel you want to join > Click the Join button at the bottom.
How do I archive & delete channel
- Archive: Settings Wheel > Additional Options > Archive this channel
- Click on CHANNELS > View archived channels > Delete
How do I message each other on a channel
- Click on the channel you’re looking for on the left when it opens, click the message box at the bottom
- Enter your message and hit enter or click send
How do I tag/ mention people in messages?
- Use the @ symbol before someone’s name to tag them in a message. This will send them a notification on their mobile, desktop and browser apps e.g. @clodagh. It is called a mention.
How do I view your own mentions?
- Click the @ symbol (top right).
How to add your Dropbox Integration to a channel?
- Click on the team name(top left), in the dropdown select Apps & Integrations.
Search for Dropbox in the search bar.
How do I attach a file from dropbox?
- Select the channel you want to upload the file to
- Click on the plus sign beside the message box and select ‘Import file from…’: Dropbox
- Select the file you want to upload.
How do I access settings?
- Top left, click slack team name.
How do I search a channel?
- Select the channel you’re looking to search from the left hand side.
- In the search bar at the top enter your search term and hit enter.
How do I add a reaction to a message/ share a message/ follow a message/ pin a message?
- React: Hover on the message you would like to react to. In the popup options on the right select add reaction, pick your reaction from the popup selection.
- Share: Hover on the message you would like to share. In the popup options on the right select share message, enter what you’d like to say, select the channel to share in and click share.
- Follow: Hover on the message you would like to share. In the popup options on the right select the 3 dots to get the extra options. Select follow message.
- Pin: Hover on the message you would like to pin. In the popup options on the right select the 3 dots to get the extra options. Select pin message to channel.
How do I set a reminder for a message i.e. ‘To this’ – reminder at 4pm
Hover on the message you would like to remind yourself about. In the popup options on the right select the 3 dots to get the extra options. Hover over “remind me about this > ” and choose from 2o minutes, 1 hour, 3 hours, tomorrow, next week.
How do I add asana to a project channel:
Select the project channel on the left
- Under channel description select Add an app or custom integration
- In the search box enter Asana
- Select ‘Asana: Communications and task management for teams.’ from the list
- In the Post to Channel section, select the channel for the project you’re focusing on and click Add Asana Integration
- In Authentication click Authenticate and add Asana password and integration if needed
- Select the Workspace and Project that relates to the channel, choose your comment settings, select the project channel
- Add an integration description i.e.:
- Asana integration for tracking updates made to the Client Name project: Project Name
- Add a custom post name for the integration to post as i.e.: clodagh_asana or projectmanager_asana or pm_asana
- Click save integration.
How do I use Asana through slack:
- Valid commands: add, list, comment, complete, delete, help.
- To create a task:
/asana add Remember the milk
- To specify a project when creating your task:
/asana add Remember the milk to Grocery List
- To assign the task to someone else when creating it:
/asana add Remember the milk to Grocery List @stewart
- To list all tasks in your workspace:
- To comment on a task:
/asana comment ID Top priority!
- To complete a task:
/asana complete ID [note]
How do I remove Asana from a project channel:
- Select the channel you want to remove the app from
- Click ‘Add an app or integration’
- In the new window click manage and search for asana and select it
- Under Configurations select the edit configurations button
- Select disable or remove
How do upload attachment from Email to slack:
- Open Email -> right click -> save image as… -> save to downloads/desktop
- Open Slack and and press the + on the channel you want to upload the attachment to.
- Select “Your computer” and browse to find the image you stored in downloads or on the desktop.
- Select open.
- Click upload.